Canada’s Oil Sands Innovation Alliance (COSIA) is an alliance of oil sands producers focused on accelerating environmental performance in Canada’s oil sands through collaborative action and innovation. COSIA brings together leading global thinkers from industry, government, academia and the public all working to improve measurement, accountability and performance in our priority areas of greenhouse gasses, water, land and tailings.
About the Opportunity
The Senior Technical Advisor (STA) is a key member of the Innovation Priority Area (I+) and New Opportunities team. Working closely with the I+ and New Opportunities Director, the STA serves as a critical link between COSIA, its member companies and key partner organizations. This is a chance to work closely with environmental technology experts in Canada’s oil sands.
About the Role: Senior Technical Advisor
The I+ and New Opportunities team is responsible for strengthening collaboration among our members in areas that include in situ production, mining, extraction and froth treatment. The team is also responsible for refining and improving COSIA’s open innovation processes and external funder engagement.
The Senior Technical Advisor (STA) will work closely with the I+ and New Opportunities Director and Senior Advisor responsible for partnerships and external engagement to propose, secure approval for and implement improvements within the team.
• Technical assessment of third-party technologies including recommendations and follow-up
• Assessments of technology, best practices and knowledge gaps with respect to achieving regional environmental performance goals
• Support entrepreneurs as they navigate and submit collaboration proposals to members via the Environmental Technology Assessment Portal (ETAP) and steward submissions to closure, providing recommendations and follow-up as needed
• Work with the Director, I+ and New Opportunities to develop and implement Innovation Priority Area strategy and Action plans
• Expand our network within the innovation ecosystem (e.g. industrial service, academic and government areas), to connect members to prospects and/or funding opportunities
• Participation in workshop design and facilitation, including materials preparation and presentations
• Work with member subject matter experts to document Innovation and Research Priorities (IRPs)
• Provide support to Innovation Priority Area, Consortium and Working Group meetings and workshops, including recording actions and follow-up
• Develop relationships with COSIA Innovation Priority Area members, working to understand their needs from COSIA and the external innovation ecosystem
• Support change management plans for deployment items that are developed by the New Opportunities Team
• Preparation of reports, briefs, presentations and other information as needed to support the Priority Area Steering Committee, working groups and other COSIA committees
• Compilation of progress reports
Education and Experience
• Post-secondary education in science, technology, engineering and/or management with a minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience
• Preference may be given to candidates with broad oil sands experience in both in situ and mining/extraction, opportunity realization, facilitation and/or change management.
Superior communication, relationship management, strategy and motivation will be key attributes of the candidate.
o Distill and communicate ideas into forms that are easy for others to understand
o Strong ability to structure, assemble and deliver a business presentation that enables senior management decision making
o Influence the thinking, decisions and actions of senior leaders
o Able to articulate the value proposition of innovative ideas so that members are aligned and engaged to execute
• Relationship Management:
o An understanding of how to build support for new ideas
o Strong relationship management skills, including an ability to build relationships at all levels of our member companies (from field based to senior leaders) and with other stakeholders ranging from academia and government to garage inventors and entrepreneurs
o Strong interpersonal and consultative skills
o The ability to deliver and promote short term solutions while supporting long term vision and strategy for the organization
o A future thinker who is always asking, "Why?" and “What if”
o The ability to see patterns where others see complexity; easily sorting through the clutter and leading the way
o High degree of initiative, self-motivation and accountability
o Deep self-discipline to manage timelines, structure and focus while also increasing efficiency
o Ability to lead and have oversight of multiple projects simultaneously
Compensation: Competitive compensation based on skill set and experience. Assignments or secondments from member companies are possible.
Location: Calgary, AB
Deadline for Application: This posting will remain open until August 20, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. MT.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting the position title.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.